This Week in LIS - 10 February 2012
Headline of the Week: A Day at the Technology Help Desk
Get a glimpse of what goes in a day at the Technology Help Desk. Watch 9 hours in less than 3 minutes with this time lapse video. (Click the Full Screen icon in the lower right corner for best viewing).
Short Link: http://youtu.be/SkkpaQa_iCA
The Technical Details
The video was put together using a time lapse program called Lapseler (http://www.fraktus.com/lapseler/) and an external web camera hooked up to an iMac. It comprises of about 4,050 still images. The text, music, and other effects were aded through iMovie and took about 90 minutes.
For more questions or information, please contact the Technology Help Desk at x1000 or email@example.com.
LIS Blog Highlights from the Week
The following articles are sampled from those available on the LIS Blog:
- Coming Soon! An Outlet for Your Frustration
- Miller and Dieseth Network to be Wireless only Beginning Summer 2012
- ANNE RICE AND JAMES PATTERSON ARRIVE IN LEISURE READING
- Phishing Scam Attempt
- Software Development Meeting February 6, 2012 [Luther only]
- A Dickens of a Good Time!
- User Services Meeting – 2/7/12
- Thanks for making Dickens event a success!
- EDUCAUSE 2011 Virtual Sessions Now Freely Available
- Direct deposit bank entry form on my.luther.edu [Luther only]
- A Day at the Technology Help Desk
Notes from LIS Council
LIS Council is the leadership team within LIS. Among the topics discussed this past week were:
- New Items
- We briefly discussed GusDay which was held this past Friday at St. Olaf. Marcia and Adam attended, along with several others from LIS.
- ILA/ACRL Spring Meeting
- We discussed the ILA/ACRL Spring Meeting which will be held in Decorah and on the Luther campus on May 25th.
- Event Reservations
- We reviewed the process for requesting use of campus space by organizations not affiliated with the college, due to a request received recently.
- EdTech Article Request
- The LIS Technology Help Desk was contacted by a representative from EdTech Magazine who is writing an article with overall theme of the 21st Century Library and, as a companion to that, is writing a story on how libraries are expanding their IT help desks.
- Conversion from TrackIt to KBOX
- The conversion of inventory from our prior system to our new system is nearly complete. Software has yet to be migrated.
- MISO Opens Next Week
- The MISO Survey opens on Thursday, February 16, and closes on Monday, February 27. Faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to participate.
- Responding to Medical Emergencies in the Library
- We are reviewing our procedures for responding to medical emergencies and will be having conversation at upcoming LIS meetings.
- Library Space
- We have received a request for use of space within the library by another department on campus and will be discussing that request at upcoming meetings within LIS.
- LIS is reviewing the password checking routines in use by the various systems on campus.
- “The Librarian is IN”
- There is interest in expanding the idea of “The Librarian is IN” to include technology help. The LIS Technology Help Desk has been exploring options over the past year and will consider additional options for the spring.
- Katie File Structure
- We discussed the next version of Moodle which will have a different file structure and LIS’ recommendation to use Morsle.
- Returning Items
- LIS Service and Systems
- The Spring 2012 LIS Service and Systems Notice was sent yesterday to all faculty, staff, and students.
- Google+ was implemented on February 2nd for Norse Apps users.
- LIS Service and Systems
As a member of NITLE (National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education), Luther has the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of developmental and training programs intended for faculty, librarians, and information technologists. Events listed at the links below are currently open for registration by Luther participants. LIS Staff who are interested in participating in an event should speak with Diane Gossman. Faculty who are interested in participating should speak with Lori Stanley. Participation is contingent upon available funding and program acceptance.
Conferences & Events: http://www.nitle.org/events/events_list.php
Digital Humanities Events: http://www.nitle.org/help/digital_humanities_events.php
Teachers Without Borders Series: https://lis.luther.edu/files/NITLEandTWB.pdf
Upcoming LIS Training, Instruction, and Professional Development Opportunities
Click on the event below for specific information and for a link to register. More information on training and development events is available.
|Faculty Brown Bag: Post-"Nature" Projections: Ecological Media Teaching and Research||Faculty Development||Feb 14 2012 – 11:30am – 12:30pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Zotero: Grab Your Research with a Single Click||Faculty Development||Feb 16 2012 – 4:15pm – 5:15pm||Open|
|Faculty Brown Bag: This Is What Democracy Sounds Like: Soundscapes of the 2011 Wisconsin Pro-Labor Protest Movement||Faculty Development||Feb 21 2012 – 11:30am – 12:30pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Using Podcast Producer to Capture Classroom Video||Faculty Development||Feb 21 2012 – 3:30pm – 4:30pm||Open|
|Faculty Brown Bag: Enhancing Student Learning through Information Literacy and Technology (Music & Art)||Faculty Development||Feb 27 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Faculty Brown Bag: Enhancing Student Learning through Information Literacy and Technology (Education)||Faculty Development||Mar 5 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Making Appointments with Norse Calendar||Faculty Development||Mar 30 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Olin 301 – Round Table Room||Open|
|Faculty Brown Bag: Enhancing Student Learning through Information Literacy and Technology (Theatre/Dance)||Faculty Development||Apr 2 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Faculty Brown Bag: Enhancing Student Learning through Information Literacy and Technology (E&B, SASW, Nursing)||Faculty Development||Apr 3 2012 – 11:30am – 12:30pm||Dahl Centennial Union – Mott||Open|
|Social Pedagogies and Technology||Faculty Development||Apr 12 2012 – 3:00pm – 4:00pm||Open|
|Update on Summer 2012 Faculty Computer Roll-out||Faculty Development||Apr 18 2012 – 12:15pm – 1:15pm||Open|
|Intro to Voicethread: Collaborative Multimedia Slideshows||Faculty Development||Apr 24 2012 – 3:30pm – 4:30pm||Preus Library – Hovde Lounge||Open|
Food for Thought: Thanks for making Dickens event a success!
The skit was performed. Happy Birthday was sung. And a chocolate sheet cake was devoured in less than 10 minutes on February 7th in Preus Library to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the birth of famous English author Charles Dickens.
A big thank you goes out to professor emeritus Harland Nelson, without whom none of this would have been possible.
Special kudos are also richly deserved by our cast: Bob Larson, Martin Mohr, Hana Bachman, Hannah Lund, Katherine Claude, Meredith McDowell, and Katie Hale.
Special thanks also to all of the LISers who jumped in and helped out by moving chairs, making announcements, serving cake, and publicizing this event in various circles.
It was a delightful time and the event was enjoyed by an informal count of around 75 people.
So, now the question is what famous author is turning 200 next? ;) Stay tuned for more literary shenanigans here at Preus.
Note: Please visit the Preus Library facebook page for pictures and video clips of the event.
Thanks to Jennifer Rian for this week’s submission.
This Week in LIS is published most Fridays by Diane Gossman, Chair of the LIS Council, on behalf of the LIS Council at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa. The Library and Information Services Council provides strategic leadership for information support to Luther College and its mission.