Mac OS X Network Printer Training
A network printer is a printer that is available to any machine that is on the Luther College network. The first time a network printer is used from a computer, it needs to be added to that computer. After it has been added, it is available for you or anyone else to use from that computer. This article provides instructions for installing a network printer on a computer running Mac OS X.
Upon completion of this 1-on-1 training, you will be able to:
Add a Network Printer
The step-by-step instructions for adding a network printer follow.
1. Log in as a user with Administrator access (usually the computer owner or Help Desk).
2. Open System Preferences, located in the Dock or under the Apple menu, and select Print & Fax.
3. You will be presented with the list of printers the computer is set up to print to. To add a new printer, click the plus sign below this list.
4. Choose the IP option and enter the appropriate information.
- Protocol: Line Printer Daemon – LPD
- Address: printspooler.luther.edu
- Queue: [printspooler queue name]
- Name: [your name for printer] (will be printspooler.luther.edu by default)
- Location: [printer location]
- Print Using: Generic PostScript Printer (should automatically be populated)
5. Click Add.
6. Exit the Print & Fax utility.
8. When you’re done, choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
Starting this fall, Luther is using the GoPrint print management system to track individual print usage and cut down on waste. When you print to a network printer, you have to log into GoPrint using your Norse Key (log in here), check the box next to the desired print job, and press the Pay and Print button. Details on the GoPrint system can be found in this article.
Review the Help within Mac OS X
Searching for “Add a printer” in the Help menu will return related support articles, though you should follow the LIS instructions here exactly when adding a printer.
Review the Technology Help Desk web site information
- Network Printers FAQ
- Windows XP Network Printer Training
- Windows Vista Network Printer Training
- Mac OS X Leopard Training
- Mac Basics Training
- Mac Network Shares Training
- Mac System Maintenance Training
- For more related articles not listed here, go to http://lis.luther.edu, and use the Search LIS box in the upper right hand corner to search for “Mac network printer”
- For more articles on other topics, go to http://lis.luther.edu/learn/articles.