LIS is currently recruiting for professional and student worker positions listed below. For any questions regarding employment in Library and Information Services at Luther or the process to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Employment Positions
- The Software Development team seeks a student for summer web programming.
- The Technology Help Desk hires for positions starting in J-Term and Spring Semester.
- The Circulation Desk hires for positions starting in Fall Semester.
- Applications are available throughout the year at the Circulation Desk in Preus Library.
Help Desk Specialist
Luther College is seeking a self-motivated individual with vision and experience in quality customer service and support to work at our LIS Technology Help Desk. The successful applicant will join our User Services and Help Desk teams within Library and Information Services (LIS). The Help Desk Specialist provides timely and comprehensive desktop support for technology users across campus. Technical responsibilities include installing and troubleshooting desktop operating systems, software, hardware, and workgroup printing. Supervisory responsibilities include daily management of work request queue and student staff productivity. Visit lis.luther.edu/recruiting for complete details of this position at Luther.
This full-time, benefits-eligible position is within Library and Information Services (LIS), an integrated information service organization delivering library and information technology-based service to the faculty, students, and administration of Luther College. We seek creative, innovative, and forward-thinking individuals who challenge themselves in a rapidly changing information environment. Luther College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and persons of diverse ethnic backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and those received by May 10, 2013, will receive full consideration. Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results from a background check and verification of professional credentials. Luther College seeks to build a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students and is an equal opportunity employer.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Help Desk Specialist participates on the User Services and Technology Help Desk teams within Library and Information Services (LIS). The Help Desk Specialist provides timely and comprehensive desktop support for technology users across campus. Technical responsibilities include installing and troubleshooting desktop operating systems, software, hardware, and workgroup printing. Supervisory responsibilities include daily management of work request queue and student staff productivity. Responsibilities include:
- Participation as a member of the Help Desk and User Services teams.
- Provision of “front-line” workstation support to users, including coordination of incoming user contracts and on-site service calls.
- Supervision of timely resolution of work requests assigned to the Help Desk.
- Supervision of daily productivity of student employees.
- Works with the Multimedia Lead to support multimedia technologies on campus, including video, audio, textual, graphical, and other electronic media.
- Able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Creation and commitment to a quality customer service environment for all Help Desk operations.
- Creation and care of all forms of service found at the Help Desk including handling of all user contacts, problem resolutions, inventory management, delivery and oversight services, and user and student staff training.
- Production of content and documentation for LIS websites.
- Service as a communication catalyst within LIS and to/for the campus community regarding technology.
- Creation and care of a collaborative and cross-trained work environment within User Services and LIS.
- Demonstration of active and developing general knowledge regarding user-focused technologies for higher education.
- Participation in strategic and tactical planning affecting all user-focused technology support.
- Participation and leadership in LIS training programs and development of documentation.
- Participation in developing quality and meaningful opportunities for student employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (with preference for computer- or communications-related fields).
- Vision and experience in quality customer service and support.
- Experience or skill in leadership, team-building, and collaborative work.
- Experience and skill using and troubleshooting standard operating systems, productivity suites, and printing and audio visual equipment.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Organizational, written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and with a project team.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results from a background check and verification of professional credentials.
How to Apply
Applications for Help Desk Lead are accepted online at: http://lis.luther.edu/recruiting. Click on Apply Now to submit your resumé, which should include a cover letter and three references, one of whom is a current or former supervisor.
Note: When sending documents electronically, please attach only the following file types:.txt, .doc, .rtf, or .pdf. If your document is a web page, include the URL in your e-mail.
We will be grateful if you mention in your letter how this position first came to your attention. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications received by May 10, 2013, will be guaranteed full consideration.