Sophos Anti-Virus - Uninstall & Removal Instructions
At the end of May 2013, LIS will no longer provide or support Sophos Anti-Virus on personally owned computers.
This means that faculty, staff, and students will have to remove Sophos and acquire their own anti-virus software to protect their computers. A list of alternative options, including free anti-virus products, is available at the Anti-Virus Software page. Technology Help Desk staff are available to assist with the transition away from Sophos.
On May 1 and May 2 from 4pm to 7pm, additional LIS staff will be on hand at the Technology Help Desk to assist with removing Sophos and re-installing new anti-virus.
This change is being made for a variety of technical reasons and to ease some of the troubles involved in updating Norse Keys, which could lead to a computer being vulnerable to viruses.
Sophos will remain on Luther owned workstations.
Windows Removal Instructions
LIS has created the Sophos Removal Tool to simplify the process of removing Sophos from personally owned computers. We recommend that you use this tool first before proceeding to other steps.
Sophos Removal Tool
Sophos Removal Tool
- Click on the Sophos Removal Tool link above and select Save File (or Save As).
- Save the file to an easy to find location such as your Desktop or Documents folder.
- Double-Click on the Sophos Removal Tool.
- Select Run if prompted.
- Type Y and press Enter to remove Sophos.
- The removal process may take several minutes.
- Type Y and press Enter to reboot your computer.
The Sophos shield should no longer appear on the Taskbar near your clock. If it still remains, repeat the above steps or move to the Windows – Program and Features removal process below.
Windows – Program and Features
- Click on Start and select Control Panel.
- Click on Programs and Features.
- Right Click on Sophos Anti-Virus and select Uninstall.
- Click Yes when/if prompted.
- Repeat for each item labeled Sophos.
- There should be three items – Sophos Anti-Virus, Sophos AutoUpdate, and Sophos Remote Management System.
- Reboot your computer when finished.
Mac OS X Removal Instructions
Sophos Anti-Virus for the Mac comes with a pre-existing removal tool. Follow the instructions below to remove Sophos from your personally owned computer.
Sophos Removal Package
- Select Go from the top menu.
- If you are in another application, click on your Desktop and Go will appear across the top menu.
- Select Computer.
- Double-Click on your Hard Drive.
- This is normally called Macintosh HD or something similar.
- Double-Click on Library.
- Double-Click on Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Double-Click on the Remove Sophos Anti-Virus.pkg file.
- Click Continue and then Install.
- Enter your computer password when/if prompted.
- Click Close when finished.
The Sophos shield should no longer appear on the menu bar in the upper right near your clock. If it does, repeat the above steps or contact the Technology Help Desk for assistance.